I am truly embarrassed....

It is truly a discouragement when you see adults you've looked up to and who should be examples stoop to the level of children in criticizing others who have different beliefs. There is a way that you can express concern for someone that you believe is doing or believing wrong teachings without doing it condescendingly and publicly as to embarrass or enrage them. Speaking from personal experience, there is no faster way to ruin your chances of spreading God's truth than bashing someone's beliefs, no matter what they are. Colossians 4:6 tells us that our speech needs to be gracious. Gracious means "courteous, kind, and pleasant". I don't know about you, but telling someone straight out publicly that what they believe is false without explaining why in a thorough manner doesn't sound like that definition. I admit that I am guilty of doing this same thing with no regard for how I am portraying it, but I am working on it. I want to learn and spread the truth to anyone and everyone who is willing to accept it and I can't do that if I am busy pointing out other people's mistakes and telling everyone who believes something contrary to what I believe that they are wrong, even if, according to God's word, they are. There is a time and place for it, as well as a way to bring it up. Take Priscilla and Aquila for example. In Acts 18, Apollos was speaking boldly about the baptism of John. They knew the baptism of Jesus and, in verse 26, it says they "took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately." Tell me, where in that verse does it say they announced out loud that he was wrong and accused him of believing falsely? We as Christians have a duty to spread the truth. That does include that we use the word to correct, as is stated in 2 Timothy 3:16, but we must do so graciously (Ephesians 4:29). 2 Tim 4:2 also tells us to use the word to reprove, rebuke and exhort, but with patience. Patience and grace go hand in hand. We also have to be in a position where we can teach others the truth. The best way to do it is simple....practice what you preach! Titus 2:7-8 says we have to be models of good works and to show integrity and dignity in teaching others. 1 Timothy 4:12 focuses on youths but it still holds true for everyone; we need to be examples in how we speak, our conduct, our love, our faith and doing it purely. 1 Peter 5:5 tells the younger people (again, still a good rule of thumb for everyone) that we need to be humble towards others. How can I be humble and show integrity and dignity when I am making fun of what someone else believes?

So as an example to my "COC'ers", put yourselves in the other person's shoes. Let's say that you are browsing on a social networking site like Facebook or Myspace and you see an entry from someone you are an acquaintance with talking about how the "Church of Christ" are a bunch of self-righteous rule Nazis that think they are the only one's going to heaven. Let's be honest...we've all heard those stigma's put on members of the Church of Christ, and for good reason. But that's for another discussion. What would you do? How would you react? Would you ignore it and not say anything? Would you send them a private message asking why they believe this, which could potentially lead to a study? Or would you do what seems to be the trend these days and comment with an equally rash and judgmental statement about what's wrong with the other person's beliefs? I recently read a passage that has helped me in preparing myself to teach and help others in a respectful and gracious way without sounding rash and judgmental. John 12:48 says that the word is the judge in the last day. It is not my opinion that is the truth and to be used to judge others - its God's word. If you, in good conscience, can honestly say that you are following the will of God according to His word, then I have no problem in saying that I believe you are going to heaven, despite what church you attend. The gospel is enough to bring someone to the truth (2 Timothy 3:16-17). We don't need to beat them over the head with it and force feed it for them to get it. It's on a 5th grade reading level, for goodness sake! We are to plant the seed and water it and God gives the growth (1 Corinthians 3:7). We need to open ourselves up and be approachable. No one is going to want to come ask spiritual advise to someone who makes fun of or ridicules other beliefs - you don't like it when people do it to you so don't do it to others! The golden rule works for everything people!!! It's sad when I pretend that I don't know someone because I'm embarrassed of how they are acting or portraying themselves to the public...and they are suppose to be examples of Christians! I hope that I am stepping on toes because having religious battles publicly only turn souls to be saved away from the truth. If you have something negative to say about someone else's beliefs, keep it to yourself, or better yet, talk to someone who has that belief and try to begin a relationship of learning and teaching to bring about the truth. I am preaching to myself as much as everyone else and I hope we, as brothers and sisters, can encourage each other to be lights of the world, speaking the truth in love.

God bless

Comments

Popular Posts