Christmas 2015 Recap

So I know it's been a minute since I've posted any updates on casa de Guthrie. Things have been a little, busy, to say the least. This holiday weekend is a much needed break! So here's how our holly jolly holiday went: all the good, bad and ugly.

Rory and I both had to work on Christmas Eve (boo) but mom and dad were up from Columbus and watched Emma until I got off at 11 and then we went to have lunch with great grandmama and Will. A great note here, I was able to finish ALL of open enrollment before I left for Christmas!!! You have no idea how much of a load off that was!

Rory got off and was able to meet us at home by 2 and then it was a relaxing evening of hyping up Santa to Emma. After she went to bed, it was full on "Santa" mode, with some assembly required. By 8:30, I was out on the couch!

Christmas morning came at 7 on the dot for me. There's just something about your body not allowing you to sleep later when you have no alarm set :/ So it was downstairs to help Mom with the monkey bread (Christmas tradition) and wait for Emma to wake up. We didn't have to wait long because she was up and ready to go by 8. 



She was so excited about her kitchen and chair! She spent much of the day going back and forth between the two. We just did our Guthrie Christmas, as were waiting to do the Guthrie/Couchman Christmas tomorrow with Will and Audra. So more presents tomorrow! :)



After a couple of hours of playing inside (and outside!), Reesee talked us in to letting them take Emma to Gran and Paw's for tonight. That meant we were kid free for a day!

We decided to go see a movie, so Rory, Curt and I loaded up to see the new Star Wars movie in Vestavia. As we walked up, a lady was standing in front of the theater and announced that she had bought one too many tickets for SW and was trying to give it away. I walked up to ask the time for the ticket and she handed it to me and said Merry Christmas. So I got in for free! :) Now, I knew it was suppose to keep raining and be mid to high 70s today, but I was not expecting the severity of the weather. About 10 minutes into the move, everyone's phones lit up with tornado warnings for the area. Luckily, it went just north of us. The movie was great and I can't wait until 2017 to see the next one! 

After the movie, we made a run for the car, as it was still pouring down rain. Rory informed us that the water was getting deep in the parking lots and at that point, our phones started blowing up with flash flood warnings. We made our way through Birmingham with no problem but back in Gardendale was another story. We headed down New Castle towards home and passed a couple cars who were flashing their lights like crazy at us. We made it about a mile from home and got stopped by water rushing over the road. We stepped out to see how bad it was (there were several other vehicles stopped on the road) and stepped out to see knee deep water covering our way home. The water was rushing over from both sides! We decided not to even attempt it and turned around to go the long way around. I made a call to the JeffCo sheriffs office to report the flooding and they told me there was flooding everywhere in the county, especially in the north, which was where we were.

We were able to make it home finally, and not a moment too soon. The EMA closed roads in Jefferson county for non-emergency vehicles so we are now in for the night! God has blessed us another year and I pray that he keeps everyone safe!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Comments

Popular Posts