Times, they are a-changin'

It's been a minute since I updated everyone on our little family of four, so I'll take a moment and catch you all up :)

We're now halfway through October and fall is FINALLY here! We've been enjoying comfortable mid-60s temps during the day and cool upper-40s temps at night. After enduring a late summer heat wave, I am determined not to complain about anything being cold for at least a month! Our days of enjoying the cooler temps are still hit-or-miss because it's been a wet start to fall. I plan on getting the girls out as much as possible on the nice days, though!

We're just a mere 2 1/2 months from having been residents of the great state of Tennessee for a whole YEAR! How in the world did that happen?! I still feel like I'm a newbie, and I really am because I spend most of my days stuck at my desk in the house working. When I do get out, I feel like I'm a tourist lol. It's not such a bad thing though, because I feel like you need to be a tourist in your own city sometimes. There are so many things that I wish we would have done in Birmingham before we left, but now when we go back, we can actually do them as tourists! ;)

So now an update on our crazy kiddos:

Penny is officially paci-free! I decided to work on dropping the paci last Sunday (per instructions from the Farmers Almanac) and it took less than a week before we were completely done with the paci. P had a couple of rough nights starting out, but we were able to get her back to sleep once we rocked her, and then she slept the rest of the night.

P also had her first experience with sleeping outside of a crib or pack-n-play this weekend. We took a trip up to Kentucky to visit friends and, since Penny's portable crib bit the dust about a month ago, we had to set her up on a little cot like Emma's. I was nervous about it because she's never slept in anything without rails, but she did great! She woke up a couple of times at night because she wasn't sure where she was and would get out of bed and walk around, but once she realized that everyone was in the room with her, she was good and went back to sleep. It gives me hope for a good transition to a big girl bed next year when she turns 2!

Emma is, well, Emma. She's doing great with her growth hormones and has spurted up another 1/2 inch! This also means that keeping clothes in her closet is getting to be a challenge. She almost completely skipped 3T clothing and is now in 4T shirts, but since the girl has no booty and her waist is the size of my pinky, pants are a struggle. She's really a 2/3 in the waist, but she needs the 4T length. I had these issues growing up too, so it's no surprise. Since she's also 4-going-on-14, we're navigating through the drama of picking out clothes to wear. She's all about dresses, which I don't mind, but now that it's getting cooler, she needs to wear long sleeves, but she doesn't like sleeves. The struggle is real people. I absolutely dread the real teenage years. All in time, though.

In other news, we have a new nephew!!! Hampton David Couchman was born on Saturday night and is just the most adorable little thing you have ever seen! We won't be able to meet him in person for a while since he lives in Massachusetts, but technology is such that we'll still be able to "see" him through pictures and FaceTime! We're sending all our love to Hamp, Curt and Ashton from Tennessee!

We got to spend some time with our other nephew and niece a few weeks ago and the girls just LOVED it! They were both obsessed with baby Jack and loved to play with him and love on him. We had a house full with my parents, my brother and his family, and our friend Colby, but I wouldn't have had it any other way! It's been so long since we've all been together, but I look forward to when we can get the other Couchmans with us too! There will be no shortage of fun and craziness when we all get together ;) I can't wait for Family Reunions!

We're heading into the holidays and, no doubt, some craziness. This will be our first Halloween in a real neighborhood, and lucky for us, since Halloween falls on a Wednesday, we'll probably just put a bucket out with candy and let the kiddos use the honor system. I'm still not sure what we'll do for the girls, but it might work in our favor if we don't go Trick-or-Treating since Rory is doing Weight Watchers. There's a silver lining to everything ;)

Football season is quickly becoming a disappointment in the Guthrie household. Everyone has an off-year though, right? We'll still watch games, but this may be my chance to get us out of the house and doing other fun stuff to get our minds off the abysmal seasons the Vols and the Tigers are having. I'm hoping to get us to a Pumpkin Patch in the next couple of weeks before Halloween. I would also love to go see some Christmas lights in December and do the Ice walk-thru at the Opryland Hotel. I, for sure, will be going to some street festivals, even if I have to go by myself!

I hope everyone is enjoying the fall season, wherever you are!

God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts