Week 2

I would have to equate having another newborn to riding a bike - no matter how long it's been since the last time you had one, everything comes back to you like you never stopped: changing diapers and nursing at 2 am, waking every couple of hours, etc. The only difference, and quite a large one, is having a toddler while trying to devote most of the hours in your day to a new baby. This, by no means, is easy. What makes it more manageable is having your toddler potty trained, sleeping all night and somewhat self-sufficient. I still wish we'd worked more on helping Emma learn to dress herself and go to the bathroom by herself before Penny was born, but we'll get there regardless.

The past two weeks have been even more manageable and bearable due in large part to my mom and Rory. I can't say enough about either of them but they have kept me from completely drowning in my own stress and self doubt over whether I can do this. It gives me immense comfort to know that even if I don't do the dishes or the laundry or get supper on the table, it will get done and everyone will be clean, fed, and happy. It doesn't keep me from feeling some guilt but I'm trying to learn how to be a thankful receiver as well as a selfless giver. This lesson is proving to be very difficult but it's one I have to learn for a better and more stress-free life.

Ok, now off my soapbox and on to updates on the Guthrie Girls!




Penny is two weeks old...TWO WEEKS! Although I'm trying to soak up and enjoy every moment, time still flies. I'm enjoying getting to snuggle and love on her while she's so little, but I'm also excited to see how she'll grow and change and what her little personality will be like! She's still a pretty chill baby but she's very different from her sister (as she should be). She's not as good of a sleeper at night as her sister was, but every now and then, she'll throw in a night or two of sleeping a four or four and a half hour stint, and it's usually just in the knick of time to give mom and me and reprieve from complete exhaustion. Then, it'll be back to waking up every couple of hours to eat and blow out a couple of diapers. She is doing very well at staying awake for a little while during the day, which we figured would help her sleep better at night...yeah right.

She had her two week checkup yesterday and had gained back all of the weight she lost since she was born and then put on 9 more ounces! Our little chunk :) She's already starting to outgrow some of her newborn clothes, which makes me sad. Emma spent so long in most sizes that I got use to keeping just a couple of different sizes in the drawers and closet. Looks like I'll need to keep a whole six months worth of sizes in Penny's just to keep up with her!





Emma is her usual silly, independent self. It blows my mind that she'll be three in just four and a half weeks! She's definitely starting to act like a three-nager :/ She talks NON-STOP, literally, and is testing everything these days and her favorite word, not shocking, is "no". I'm not looking forward to the increase in scoldings and spankings that is sure to come in the next year :( While she is the usual challenging toddler, she still has her endearing moments, especially towards her little sister. She still loves to see Penny every morning when she wakes up and she'll give her a little kiss on the head and tell me how cute Penny is. I hope she keeps feeling this way towards her little sister!











So now we're trying to get into some kind of routine since we're now on our own! Mom went back home yesterday so we had our first night "alone" with just the four of us. We spent the first hour of our night fighting a very fussy and sleepy baby, but once she was calmed down, it was, what I would call, a success. She only woke up once in the middle of the night to feed and the rest of our night was, well, restful.

We're trying to keep Emma on as much of her usual schedule as we can so she still goes to daycare two days a week. It doesn't hurt for my sanity either ;) So now two days a week, I can get caught up on a little more sleep. Tomorrow will be my first day with both girls by myself. This should be interesting....I do plan on doing a good bit of baby wearing, so I'm excited to see how that goes. I've put Penny in the sling a couple of times already to see what she thinks about it, and so far, so good. I never realized just how much more exhausting a toddler can be than a newborn! Just pray that I can keep my sanity for the next 6 weeks :/

I hope everyone enjoys the last day of February! I'm looking forward to what March has to offer (along with gaining a three year old!)

God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts