Oh how time flies...

Our Penny Rae is one month old! Time flies when you're having fun...or when you're seriously sleep deprived and your brain is fried, which is also why this post is a week behind :/











Penny is growing and changing every day and, while I gladly welcome longer sleep periods, it makes me sad that the first month has already flown by with my last baby. We had fallen into a pretty good routine but as of the last couple of days, this "routine" has gone out the window. I think she may have hit a growth spurt, which means the 5 to 6 hour sleep periods that we were starting to get used to have now been replaced with 2 1/2 to 3 hour stretches. I'm praying that we get through this in a couple of days and get back to the 5 to 6 hour stretches! Thankfully, my body has been use to this since about the 7th month of pregnancy from getting up and down every couple of hours at night and the couple of hours of restlessness. I am looking forward VERY much to when she starts sleeping those 7 and 8 hour stretches all at once...come on Penny Rae!

Emma at 1 month and Penny at 1 month






We had her one month checkup on Thursday and P is up to 9 lbs 2 oz! She's already breaking into 3 month clothes and you can forget trying to put her in anything smaller than a 0-3 month outfit! There are a handful of newborn onsies that run bigger that she can still fit into, but I predict those will be back in a bin in a couple of weeks. We've also made the transition to size 1 diapers. Maybe it is a good thing that we didn't get very many newborn diapers from people!

Emma and Penny in the same outfit - Emma at 4 months old and Penny at 1 month old!

She still eats good despite having some reflux issues and we've recently swapped to half and half (half formula, half breastmilk). I've been blessed so far to have been able to nurse her exclusively for the first 4 weeks of her life. She's tolerated the formula very well so far and we're hoping that swapping to straight formula this week will go well. I'm also hoping that it will help with her reflux. We have already scheduled an upper GI test for her next month just to have everything checked out. I expressed concern to her nurse practitioner last week and she was of the opinion that Penny was the perfect candidate for this test as well as some medicine to help her reflux if we can't get it under control through other means. So far, giving her gripe water before she eats has proven to help a good bit. She still has spells of arching her back and stiffening up due to discomfort, but they're happening less often than before. Vivi recommended trying all that we could before resorting to medicine. Fingers crossed!

I can't believe that I have three more weeks before I head back to work! Part of me is looking forward to it because I'll have much needed adult interaction. Most of my days are filled with replays of Disney movies (over and over...and over) and being showered with pop tart crumbs and newborn spit up. The other part of me would do this all day, every day. They're only little once and I know I'm going to miss these days! I'm going to miss humming "Let It Go" while I feed Penny and trying to convince Emma that she can in fact pull her own pants up after going potty. I had a professor in college once tell me that I wasn't the "stay at home mom" type. I didn't realize there was a type, but I understood what she meant. I do enjoy contributing to a company and having interactions with adults, but I also know that I cherish time with my children and I would love nothing more than to not have to miss any moments with them. We'll see what God has in store for the future.

Emma is continuing to inch ever closer to her "three-nage" year. We're down to less than two weeks before my first baby turns three! How did that happen so fast?! She's still her sweet and silly self most of the time, but that little 'tude is starting to come out more and more. She's all girl for sure, which means diva-ness at its utmost! She's already learning to try and play Rory and me against each other. We're working on standing together on most things, but Rory is mush when it comes to those big brown eyes being batted at him when she asks for a toy or a "cocart" (poptart) for dinner (which I try to discourage since her at home diet consists mainly of poptarts, bagels, waffles and chocolate milk as of late). She still shows so much love for Penny and I hope it continues. Every morning when I get Penny up, she'll run over and tell me how cute Penny is and that Penny loves her. Then we have to run through a list of everyone that Penny loves. It's so cute!

Playing with Eli and Cooper at their house - our first real outing with Miss P!

In other news, our 20-something year old refrigerator bit the dust last weekend so we had to get a new one. We decided after talking to our "landlords" (my parents) that we would just go ahead and suck it up and get what we really wanted. We'll either sell it to my parents when we move so they can keep it with the house or we'll take it with us when we do move. Either way, I'm VERY excited to have a nice, new refrigerator, and one that I have loved so far!


You'll have to disregard the "dining room" as that's our catch all room right now. This is also just the beginning of the remodel that the house will be undergoing this year. Since my parents will very likely not be living in this house again and it is in serious need of a facelift from the 90s, we'll be redoing the kitchen, master bathroom and getting all new floors throughout the house. It'll be exciting to see my decorating ideas come to life since they asked me to put my own touch on all of the remodel :) I'm excited to see how it all turns out and get to enjoy it before we decide to move. 

We're still primarily quarantined to the house for the next three weeks since this cold and flu season has been especially brutal. I wasn't sad to miss our "winter" last week but hope to be able to enjoy a little bit of our spring this week and next by just getting out in the fresh air for a little bit. I'm looking forward to some trips to the park in our near future!

We'll also be gearing up soon for our trip to Curt and Ashton's wedding in June. I'm beyond excited to visit the northeast again, even though this trip won't include seeing New York this time. We'll also get to see how it is traveling with a toddler and an infant...this should be interesting. I'm excited for my brother and his fiance and I can't wait to add a Yankee to the family! ;)

Hope everyone survives the whiplash of Alabama weather in the next couple of days!

God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts