I wish time would fly!

Time seems to come to a screeching halt when you have a sick baby. Any other time, you would LOVE for time to slow down or even stop! Why is this?

Penny's "cold" that she came down with after we arrived home from New England has now turned into more of a nasty coughing virus. Apparently, it's going around. I'm hoping that what the nurse told me on Saturday about it lasting anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks is NOT the case! I would hate for my baby to be miserable for that long...because then we'd all be miserable for that long! At any rate, I know this too shall pass. For all of our sake's, I hope quickly.

She started running a fever Wednesday evening when we got home from daycare and, thankfully, my mom was in town to keep the girls Friday and some this week since Ms. Cindi and Mr. Gerrie were going out of town for this week. Mom ended up keeping Penny home Thursday because she was still running a fever when she woke up. The fever didn't break until Saturday, so poor Penny had a rough go of it late last week and this weekend. Once the fever was gone, she still couldn't' catch a break from the nasty cough that still lingered (and is still lingering). Our nights have suffered a good bit because she'll cough her paci out and get mad from not having her paci and the cough waking her up; talk about having it rough. She has her moments when she's pretty content, but you can tell that the cough really bothers her and hurts her little throat. We've tried just about everything we can since she's so little and still can't have cough medicine. The nurse said we just have to let it run it's course :( Let's hope the course is a short and sweet one...although now we're headed into a full week of having this virus with no end in sight.


Emma is still her silly, spry self. We're doing our best to keep her from getting what Penny has, but it doesn't help when Emma wants to be up in Penny's face 24/7. I don't worry about her so much because she can have more medicines than Penny can, but it would be nice not to have to deal with two sick children at once. It'll happen soon enough. Emma continues to surprise us daily with how much she's learning and picking up just from being around us. She has the cutest, sassiest little attitude, with the hand-on-the-hip reaction to boot! She gets too big for her britches a lot more these days, which is resulting in more spankings, but she has such a tender heart that it doesn't take much of a pop to get her attention. Let's hope that Penny is the same! She's starting to act out more also, which I'm attributing to the fact that Penny is getting more active and demanding more of our attention, which Emma does NOT like to share. She'll try and yell over Penny's cries to get our attention or try and climb into my lap when I'm holding Penny. I hate to get on to her for wanting to be near me, but she needs to learn to share not only things, but people and time also.


I'm gearing up for my first girls' trip in two and a half weeks and I'm full of mixed emotions. I'm excited that I get to see New York again, but I'm sad to leave my little family (and guilty to leave Rory and both girls for several days). I know that Rory will do a great job and he'll have help getting the girls to and from daycare everyday, which was his main concern. I know that once the girls get older, there will most definitely be some family trips to NYC. I can't wait for those trips!

I'm excited to get to be more than just a mom too, though. On this trip, I get to be just Carrie again. No counting hours to the next feeding, no taking potty breaks and having to wipe little booties, no packing a small suitcase to go out just so we can make sure we have enough formula, diapers and extra clothes to make it through the day. It will be a nice break from that for just a few days. I know that, as crazy as it sounds, I'll miss it too. That's my period of life now. The mom-on-the-go life. The never-knowing-what-will-happen-with-an-infant-and-toddler life. The constant stream of Disney movies and Disney songs playing on the DVD player in the car (and in my head). The overflow of dress-up clothes, Barbies, baby dolls and play food that somehow always make it from the playroom to the living room...and upstairs, and in the kitchen, and in the laundry. And for now, the up-every-few-hours routine at night, until Penny can kick this virus. I really can relate to the quote that says "I'm not an early bird or a night owl. I'm some sort of permanently exhausted pigeon." I know that once this period of my life has passed, I'll miss it something fierce. I try to remind myself of that often, but I don't often enough. I catch myself wishing at every milestone for Penny and Emma that they would be at the next one, just a little more independent and needing me a little less. I know SO many women who would say "Don't wish these moments away, because once they're gone, you can't get them back." I can already say that I miss the moments when Penny was first born because I miss her being so tiny and just being able to snuggle her without her trying to wiggle out. I didn't get to take in as much of that with Penny as I did with Emma, but it's because I had another child requiring my attention. I know that Penny will only know being a second child, but I feel guilty that she doesn't get to experience the undivided attention, the everything brand new, the only child kind of life that Emma has grown accustom to.

Ok, so now that I've gone off on my little tangent for the week, I hope everyone enjoys another week of June in Alabama...and more rain. Ugh! Enough rain already! I'm not ready for the 100 degree temps, but I would like some sunshine please!

Until next week...

God Bless!

Comments

Popular Posts