Taking the good with the bad

I firmly believe that God orchestrates the development of babies to have equal parts good and bad. This ensures that parents don't go totally cuckoo after only a short amount of time with an infant. For example, the complete lack of energy and sheer exhaustion of the parents from little to no sleep with a baby is instantly forgotten when that first grin spreads across that little face. The testing of patience from a screaming baby is wiped away when that same baby is peacefully asleep in your arms. Just such a week of the good and bad was visited upon the Guthrie household.

Penny is now 16 weeks old, and with that comes a whole host of new milestones. She is seriously full on teething now (without the teeth, of course) which resulted in several atrocious diapers over the last couple of days and a somewhat cranky baby from the gum pain. Granted, she wasn't cranky ALL the time, but I could tell she was uncomfortable a good part of the evenings last week and this weekend. That didn't keep her from finding her voice though! She's been cooing and giggling all week! It's the cutest thing you've ever heard! Remember what I said before? All the bad just goes away when you hear the coos and giggles ;)

Thursday night started the roughest time this week. For some reason that we still have yet to figure out, Penny decided she wanted to wake up EVERY HOUR Thursday night/Friday morning. She finally settled down and slept for a two hour stretch from 4:30-6:30 after a small bottle. Rory and I were complete zombies on Friday, but it helped me get through the day knowing that it was the weekend and I wouldn't have to be a legit functioning adult until Monday.

Friday night was much better. She only woke up four times, but seemed much better and rested Saturday morning. That would only mean that more bad was to come, though. All day Saturday, the girl wouldn't eat more than three ounces every four hours. I tried to cluster the feedings some so I could get her to eat more, but that was a no-go. She was pretty tired all day (no doubt from not eating) and lost a little of her color and started running a low fever Saturday evening. I was terrified that she was coming down with something, and just a mere three days before we're scheduled to board a plane up north! I was praying fervently that she wasn't getting sick because that would mean we would have a VERY fussy baby flying with us. She got better sleep Saturday night and only woke up once so I was hopefully that this was just a fluke day.

Saturday was also a rough day for my body. I took a slide down the stairs with Penny in her sling and Emma behind me watching the whole thing. I was more worried about Penny but she was fine, thankfully. Me, not so much. I took a good smack in the nose from Penny flying up and hitting me in the face and a nice bruise on my back from the slide down a couple of stairs. Emma was more upset that Penny and I were crying so she, of course, had to cry. The whole day she kept telling me that I had a boo boo because I fell down the stairs lol! Rory did his best to calm all three of us down. I'm still sore now, but it's getting better every day. Who knew taking a tumble down the stairs with a 3 1/2 month old strapped to you would make you so sore! It could also be because I'm 30 and those stairs are pretty hard, even though they're carpeted. Getting old stinks.

Sunday was business as usual for our crew. Penny was back to "normal" and ate like she normally does and had her color back with no fever. Throughout the day, she slowed up on eating, but never got back down to just three ounces at a time. I'm hopeful that this is just a side effect of teething and that she doesn't really come down with something or lose weight. I want to keep my chunk-a-monk!

Emma had her fill of fun this weekend! We went out to the farm on Saturday to eat dinner and she got to feed the animals and even drive bubba's truck! She had a blast and was worn out Saturday night! Sunday was another day of fun playing with her friends after both church services. She was right in the midst of all the boys! We've started having an onslaught of girls being born recently (and one to come in the fall) but it'll be a while before their big enough to play. Looks like Emma will be "one of the boys" for a little while :)

We're a day away from the beginning of our New England trip! We're set to take off tomorrow mid-morning and make our way to Providence, RI. I'm so excited! I'm a tad nervous about traveling with two infants and a toddler, but there have been many before me and there'll be many after me to travel with small children. Everyone will just have to suck it up and deal with it if the worst happens (three screaming children...that would be the pits!) We're trying to talk up the whole flying on a big airplane thing with Emma and I think she may be a little bit better once we get to the airport and she can watch the airplanes coming in and out. Takeoff and landing will be our biggest hurdle. Everyone just say a little prayer for her and us!

I'm excited to get to celebrate my brother and soon-to-be SIL! It's been a minute since I've seen either of them and I'm ready for all of us to be in one place for a little bit. Chances are pretty good that it could be a WHILE before we're all together again in one place. I'm glad that we'll have another place to put on our "visit" list! Vacations to Boston will be awesome, especially as the girls get older and we start adding nieces/nephews/cousins to the mix! ;)

Hope everyone has a nice week and enjoys the beautiful weather that Alabama is suppose to get this week! We'll be soaking up the rays (and rain) in cool mid-60 degree New England!

God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts