God-smackin' Moments

So I eluded to the fact that my weekend was full of "God-smackin'" moments on Facebook on Sunday. I was so humbled it was ridiculous, but SO needed!

The weekend was predestined for regularity - just spending the weekend at the in-laws and celebrating the 1st birthday of our adorable niece, then back home to await the impending doom of Monday. God obviously had more ingenious plans for me! We still spent the weekend at the in-laws and celebrated the 1st birthday of our adorable niece, but there were some revelations that came to light in Tennessee that I was beyond excited about! My FIL expressed his readiness to start looking into going back to church! My husband and I were beyond ecstatic! God has worked in so many ways in his life and he has turned back to Him! I know that it's only through God that He has softened Ray's heart and I am so grateful and can't thank God enough!

God chose that moment to give me my first "smack". After a long, deep discussion with Rory and his dad, I felt so ashamed and humbled that I am guilty of being a "church" Christian; I give God my time on Sunday and Wednesday, but I don't think to give Him much more than that. My husband and I have been studying with some friends on Thursdays, but I have to admit that I don't study like I should. I pray daily but sometimes, out of habit (before eating, before bed, etc). I feel ashamed that I judge others that are so-called "pew-fillers" when I am guilty of the same! It brought me to the point of tears right there on that porch. I realized that being a Christian is not about what church you go to. It is a life. It is Christ's life in us. Christ doesn't just live in me on Sunday's and Wednesdays. He needs to live in me daily! He gave me a book with everything that I need to know to live the life I need to to have a home with Him for eternity! And He needs to be the same for everyone else! That's why we have groups of people (the Church) that have a common thread - God! We are all there to help encourage and uplift and help each other to get to eternity with God and how can I do any of that if I'm not living with Christ everyday?! Talk about whoa!

Then, the ride back to Alabama and church yesterday - the place of my second "smack". During the Lord's Supper service, one of the elders read the lyrics to Night with Ebon Pinion. I never knew what "Ebon Pinion" meant but apparently, it means "Black Wings". So its the Night with Black Wings. I can't tell you how many time's I've sung that song and never really stopped to think hard about the words:

Night, with ebon pinion, brooded o'er the vale;
All around was silent, save the night wind's wail,
When Christ, the Man of Sorrows,
In tears, and sweat, and blood,
Prostrate in the garden, raised His voice to God.

Smitten for offenses which were not His own,
He, for our transgressions, had to weep alone;
No friend with words to comfort,
Nor hand to help was there,
When the Meek and Lowly humbly bowed in prayer.

'Abba, Father, Father, if indeed it may,
Let this cup of anguish pass from Me, I pray;
Yet, if it must be suffered, by Me, Thine only Son,
Abba, Father, Father, let Thy will be done.'

I went to the books of Matthew, Mark and Luke and read the account of Jesus praying in the garden and noticed a note in my study bible that made the point that this was Christ's final temptation. He could have chosen not to give himself up to die. Imagine how hard you would be praying if you were sweating and crying so hard it was like blood! Jesus was a man but he was unlike any other - he was perfect. He didn't HAVE to die. I imagine that Jesus pleaded with God for a while asking for there to be another way because he could foresee the pain and the agony that he would have to go through. It hit me like a ton of bricks to think that Jesus could have chosen not to die. But the fact is and shall remain forever: He did. He wanted God's will to be done regardless. That should be my attitude. I should always want God's will to be done regardless of the pain and suffering I may have to go through. Romans 8:28 tells us that all things work for the good of those that love God. I have faith and trust in God that because I love Him, things will work out good for me. It may not be my version of "good", but He knows what I need and what's good for me more than I do. Talk about WHOA!

The sermon Sunday night was another "smackin" moment. It was about making a difference no matter where you are! We are to be salt and light....everywhere! We have no excuses that are valid to not make a difference when we have God on our side. No matter young or old, black, white, red, yellow, blue, or purple, man or woman, American or European, etc. We can all make a difference if we have God leading our lives! Again, WHOA!

So now begins my old/new goal of being an all-the-time Christian, not just a "church" one. I welcome any and all encouragement and hope that maybe some of you will want to join me in this goal, even if you are already well on your way to achieving it : ) I am always up for a good Bible Study!

I think everyone needs a good "God-smackin" every now and then. Here's hoping that your's helps you as much as mine helped me!

God Bless!

Comments

Popular Posts