37 weeks

Yet again, here we are, still a family of three, but not for lack of Miss P trying again!

This past week was filled with normal moments and crazy moments, but isn't that life?! What started as a very uneventful week quickly turned into the craziness that I've been waiting for.

I patiently waited for my doctor's appointment on Thursday and assumed that everything would go as it normally does and I'd be back this next week for our second-to-the-last appointment! As quickly as this pregnancy has gone by, I have a very good feeling that it's about to slow WAY down and it'll make me want to pull my hair out!

At my appointment, which was bright and early at 7:45 Thursday morning, the first thing the nurses noticed was that it was a little more difficult to get my blood pressure measured because my heart rate was through the roof. I explained that I'm sure it had a lot to do with carrying an ever growing baby in my belly as well as combating an impending sinus infection. They agreed that while those could cause a slight rise in heart rate, it shouldn't have been as high as it was. The rest of the appointment was quite uneventful and I even got another sneak peak at Miss P when my doctor requested an ultrasound just to measure her progress.



I can't help but see Emma in this picture!

So after my ultrasound, my doctor expressed her concern over my elevated heart rate so she referred me to a cardiologist for an EKG. I've never had one before so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I hopped on over to the cardiologists office and settled in for what would be a LONG day of poking and prodding. First was the EKG, which literally took 30 seconds. Then, more waiting. I think I actually did more waiting in the exam room than I did in the waiting room! The cardiologist's nurse was super nice and took down all of my information, medical history and asked about a million questions. Once the doctor finally made his way to my room, he was just about the most awesome doctor you'll ever meet! He made me feel very relaxed and was even cracking jokes and "making light" of the situation just to make me feel better. I was very grateful, because I had no idea what to expect. He was of the same opinion I was, the elevated heart rate was due to having to pump blood for two people and being sick (which I got a script for and am now on the up and up!), but he understood my OB's concern about wanting to have all the facts and risks laid out before Penny got here. He then ordered me an echo-cardiogram and had me wear a heart monitor for 24 hours, just to make sure everything was okay. The echo was what took the longest! I've never had an ultrasound last that long! We should know the results sometime later this week. The heart monitor wasn't all that bad but I was glad to be able to take it off on Friday and not have wires running everywhere!

So after all that excitement on Friday, I was ready for a relaxing weekend. Saturday was fun day with running errands and spending some time with friends. I almost think that's what threw Penny for a loop and resulted in the craziness that ensued the following day.

Sunday started off like normal, but as soon as I got to church, I knew something wasn't right. I could feel myself getting more and more uncomfortable! I started timing the contractions and as they got closer and closer together, I made the call to my doctor's office. My doctor was not on call but another doctor from the practice advised us to come on in, so we dropped Emma off at a friends and made our way to L&D. Once there, when I say the contractions ramped up, I don't even think that does it justice! At one point, they got to less than 30 seconds apart and I was about to come out of the bed from the pressure! The nurse made several trips in during those spells to check on me and see if I needed pain meds, but it wasn't the pain that was the worst - it was the pressure! I was proud of myself, once again, that I made it as far as I did without the pain meds, but once it was decided that we would be staying overnight, I was ready for those meds!

They moved us to an L&D room since there weren't many other patients there and I was given some amazing pain medication. It worked amazing! Coming off of it was a whole other story :/ The doctor wanted to monitor me overnight since the contractions were still coming, but not at the fast and furious pace that they had been and I wasn't dilating at all. We settled in for the night with the hopes that we'd be meeting Miss P on Monday if the contractions didn't stop. I'll admit that a good part of me was really looking forward to having her on Monday! I was ready to not be pregnant, but more so to meet Penny! I didn't expect to dilate at all seeing as how I never did with Emma. Even though Penny has dropped, she's still "high" so the contractions weren't doing much.

Monday morning rolled around after a restless night of being up every couple of hours and monitors beeping and Miss Penny constantly moving! The doctor came in and checked me to see if I had dilated any during the night (which I hadn't) and to see how the contractions were progressing. She was happy to tell us that I was not at all dilated and that my contractions had spread out enough that she was comfortable sending us home. My bubble was busted for sure. I was happy to be able to go home and relax without a bunch of beeping machines but I was really hoping to meet my baby! She explained that they would rather wait a little closer to 39 weeks if the baby cooperates. I almost think that had my doctor been the one on call and making rounds, she would have said, "lets just do it!" I know that the longer Penny cooks, the better, but I'm becoming so impatient!

So now it's back to waiting. All of our bags are now packed and ready to go, the car seat is being installed as I write this, and I'm anxiously waiting for either the contractions to ramp up again, or for there to be no excitement until they go in to get her a week from Monday. Either way, I'm more than ready to meet this sweet stinker of a girl!!!

Big sister is also ready! I can't wait to see how she acts around Penny! I know that she will love her from day 1 but it'll be interesting to see what she really thinks when she realizes that Penny isn't just visiting and will be living with us indefinitely ;)

She did so good while we had to spend some time at the hospital. Rory was a little disappointed that she wasn't more sad to see us go but I was glad that she took it all in stride. She stayed with friends Sunday afternoon and Sunday night and even waved and said "Bye Dad" when we dropped her off! She had a blast at the farm on Monday too and got to play with a puppy and a couple of baby goats. Rory and I are so blessed to have friends who love our girl as much as we do and are willing to drop everything to help us out! We love you guys!

It's about to get super real! We're ending January and beginning February - the month that we will become a family of four! I hope everyone is ready for the cuteness overload that is about to blow up FB and Instagram a week from Monday, if not sooner!

2 more weeks!

God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts