A Failure to Thrive

Hearing the diagnosis of "Failure to Thrive" is a tad terrifying to a new mother...

I know it doesn't really mean what it sounds like, but having my daughter labelled as failing to thrive due to slow weight gain still scares me. I think it's more of not knowing WHY she's not gaining weight the way she should that scares me...and Google does NOT help. Note here to all new mothers - STOP GOOGLING! Everything you read could be symptoms of some rare fatal disease that affects 1 in a million kids worldwide. It doesn't do anything for your nerves and will only make you analyze everything your baby does or has x 1000!

Does this look like a baby who's failing to thrive?!


I know that God's got this and anything we encounter, we will be able to handle with His help. It still doesn't keep me from being scared for my baby. Ever since I was 30 weeks pregnant with her, there has been some doctor saying that she's too little or there may be something wrong with her. I should know by now not to listen because she was born perfect and has remained that way from day 1. Even if the scans she has do uncover something, she'll still be perfect to us.

My love for her grows every day exponentially! It's crazy how much I adore that girl! Sure, I get frustrated to no end a lot of times and cry right along with her when I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. But every smile she cracks, every giggle that comes out just makes me melt. I can't imagine anything wrong with her and I don't want to.

Rory and I will make it through this with our baby girl just fine. I know it. or at least that's what I'm telling myself daily. We've gotten through the "Period of Purple Crying" (yeah, that was fun), the early refusal to nurse spell, the last month of early stages of teething, and now we'll get through this. I know she's going to be little...everyone in our family is...so I'm not expecting her to be in the 90th percentile of kids her age in height and weight, but I would settle for above the bottom 10 percent ;) As it stands now, she's below the 5th percentile in both height and weight but in the 50th percentile for head size - she got her daddy's melon head ;)

Please continue your prayers for little E and her mama and daddy as we start this journey of trying to figure out how to get some meat on those bones ;)

God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts