My Daughter

It's SUPER weird to think that I will have a daughter....it's just weird thinking it! I'm sure every mother can relate : ) You may recall in a past post that I totally called it too! Rory's been saying it from the beginning so it came as little shock when the tech said "It's a girl". It did hit me like a ton of bricks when I stopped and started thinking about things....

I'm so excited to be able to dress her up in frills and bows and pink everything! Rory's already put an ultimatum on no big bows...we'll see ; ) I started thinking about how much fun it's going to be to do girly things and play dress up and have tea parties. I started thinking about how I can't wait to be able to do her hair super cute and put her in those awful pink foam curlers that is just one of those right-of-passages for every girl. I started thinking about how she will undoubtedly be strong-willed and independent, but I hope she's also easy-going and selfless. I started thinking about how I hope that she understands the importance of inward beauty and the vanity of outward beauty. I started thinking about how I want to be there for her first heartbreak and buy her tissues and ice cream and watch cheesy chick flicks for hours. I started thinking about how I hope she respects herself enough to not compromise. I started thinking about how, one day, I'll be watching her try on wedding dresses and walk down the aisle to her best friend. I started thinking about all these things and I am beyond excited and terrified at the same time! What if I fail? What if I don't teach her enough before she goes out on her own? What if she hates me?

Inevitably, the last one will happen. I have to laugh to myself when I image the epic fights that will ensue where she'll tell me that I don't understand and that it's different now and how I'm ruining her life.....to which I will simply have to respond "Yes, that is my job as your mother and I wake up everyday with a plan as to how to ruin your life today".

But I'm looking forward to those moments where she cries because she doesn't want anyone but her mom. Or when she clings to me so tight because she's afraid I'll go somewhere without her. Or when she gets to be my age and realizes that her mom was so stinkin' smart! Apparently, it's a vicious circle....

This was just a random brain dump of all my thoughts today. It's been intensely emotional to think about it. It's actually becoming real! Emma Kathryn Guthrie will be here in April and I know that she'll come out running and won't stop if she's anything like her parents. I already love her so much and I can't wait to meet my baby girl! Oh boy...I'm ganna be such a hot mess come April. Be warned people! ; )

God Bless!

Comments

Popular Posts